I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Bethel Jubilee Quartet - "Golden Slippers" (1923 Victor Record) As Part Of The Black History Month Spotlight

It is February 28, 2015.  This blog entry concludes the Black History Month observance for this year.  In this final episode I have for you a recording by the Bethel Jubilee Quartet.  The song is a Negro Spiritual titled "Golden Slippers".  The song was recorded in 1923 for the Victor Talking Machine Company (Catalog number: 16453-B) and I am going to play this record on a gramophone that was introduced to the public in 1923.  It is a Brunswick Portable Model 101.  I acquired this gramophone yesterday.  It came with a package of medium tone steel needles.  I am going to world premier the machine and I am going to world premier a medium tone needle in honor of the Bethel Jubilee Quartet and the overall Black History Month observance.  At 1:02 into this song, you can hear a noise that I believe is someone clearing his throat in the studio (at the part where the vocalist sings "What kind of robe you going to wear") and at 1:41 into this song, you can hear the same kind of noise (at the part where the vocalist sings "What kind of crown you going to wear").  I recorded the song twice.  There was some distortion in the first recording so I tried again ... and still got the distortion.  In any event, this is a great song and I am very happy to bring it to you today.

The line-up included A.C. Brogdon (tenor vocal), H.S. Allen (tenor vocal), J.C. Eubanks (bass vocal) and T.H. Wiseman (bass vocal and choral director).


The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyR9Jny2YBg

Photographs ...


 photo Bethel Golden 1_zpswtzb5pgy.jpg
 photo Bethel Golden 2_zpszp1qxsvx.jpg

A link of interest: http://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/800002191/B-28177-Golden_slippers

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!