Hi Friends. In honor of the upcoming Valentines Day Holiday, I have for you a very flirty record and it is an old one. It dates to the year 1909, and is titled "A Bowery Flirtation". The Thomas Edison black wax cylinder record will be played on an Edison Standard Phonograph: Model B from 1905/1906. The record was recorded by Ada Jones and Len Spencer (Catalog number: 10082). It is a Vaudeville sketch that leads into a song with Ada singing and an orchestra accompanying her. I brought some old Valentine cards out, and set them near the machine ... very special for this time of the year.
The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0eKaGrNncE
Here are the lyrics (I transcribed them myself ... I did my best):
Len: Hello kid, what's the rush?
Ada: It's 6:00, the rush hour.
Len: Come ere, I want to ask u something.
Len: Have you noticed anybody follerin' ya lately?
Ada: Nobody particular.
Len: Why Maggie, I'm yer shada, I follows you everywhere an' all it does is run away from me.
Ada: Sure I do. Run away from a shada and it always follows you, but chase it, Timmy, haha, and it's gone fer good.
Len: Well, you can't lose me kid. Tell me, did you ever love anybody?
Ada: Sure I have.
Len: I mean anybody but yourself?
Ada: Oh, like that? So I'm stuck on meself, huh? Well, there's one thing about you, Timmy, that I have to admire.
Len: And that is?
Ada: Yer good taste.
Len: Ho haw, gettin wise to yourserlf, ay? Why Maggie, that swell little mug o' yours is tintyped right on me heart.
Ada: Hahaha, I bet there's a whole gallery of tintypes on that heart of yours.
Len: You got me wrong, kid. Why, I never knew what love was 'til I fell in love with you.
Ada: Ahh, haha. Don't make me laugh, me lips are chapped.
Ada: Why Timmy, so many guys give me that speel that I set it to music.
Len: Is that so?
Ada: Yes, and it goes like this ...
Ada: I never knew what love was 'til I fell in love with you.
Len: Oh kid, nix.
Ada: You won me heart completely with those dreamy eyes of blue. I jollied Maude and Maime ...
Len: No no.
Ada: ... and made eyes at Lil an' Lou ...
Len: I don't know the party.
Ada: ... but I never knew what love was 'til I fell in love with you.
Len: Ah, kid, you's is the only one.
Ada: I don't believe it.
Len: See, ain't that a hit?
Ada: What's a hit?
Len: Ha, that's what they all say, hahahaha.
Ada: Timmy ...
Len: Aww, I didn't mean it kid, hahahahaha.
Ada: Aw, hahahahaha.
Additional information about the record can be found at this link: http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?queryType=@attr+1=1020&num=1&start=1&query=cylinder3530
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- Bethel Jubilee Quartet - "Golden Slippers" (1923 V...
- Fisk University Jubilee Quartette - "All Over This...
- Tuskegee Institute Singers - "Nobody Knows The Tro...
- The Charleston Courier February 19, 1836 Newspaper...
- Eat Ice Cream For Breakfast Day 2015 In Honor Of M...
- Daly's Reel One-Step By Van Ep's Banjo Orchestra 1...
- World War II U.S. Army Ice Creepers Aka Crampons
- St. Louis Globe-Democrat Newspaper Valentines Day ...
- Manuel Romain - Daddy Has A Sweetheart And Mother ...
- The 150th Anniversary Of Abraham Lincoln's Final B...
- Don Voorhees' Orchestra - I Found A Million Dollar...
- An Introduction To The Paper And Resin Hit Of The ...
- Victor Young And His Orchestra - I've Got To Pass ...
- Hal Goodman And His Orchestra - People Will Say We...
- Hearts And Flowers By Fred W. Hager Zon-o-phone Re...
- Daughter Of Love Waltz By National Promenade Band ...
- Love's Golden Dream By Helen Clark And Emory Rando...
- A Bowery Flirtation By Ada Jones And Len Spencer E...
- I Turn My Back To Bill De Bozo In Solidarity With ...
- ▼ February (19)
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art