I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Tuskegee Institute Singers - "Nobody Knows The Trouble I See" (1916 Victor Record) As Part Of The Black History Month Spotlight

It is February 22, 2015.  Today, in honor of Black History Month, I have for you a recording by the Tuskegee Institute Singers.  The song is a Negro Spiritual titled "Nobody Knows The Trouble I See".  This song was recorded 99 years ago on Valentines Day in 1916, and was released in April of 1917.  The record was pressed on the Victor label (Catalog number: 18237-B) and I am going to play this record on a Victor Victrola Model #4 (VV-IV).  This machine was manufactured in 1915.  I am going to play the record using a loud tone steel needle and as for the sound control, the doors open to increase the volume.

The line-up included Leroy Brown (tenor vocal), Charles Edward Clayton (tenor vocal), Alvin J. Neely (tenor vocal), William P. Smith (baritone vocal) , Alfred Taylor (bass vocal), William Wiley (bass vocal), and William J. Williams (tenor vocal). 


The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuGf_GJWQLE

Photographs ...

 photo TuskegeeNobodyKnows1_zps2af2c99b.jpg
 photo TuskegeeNobodyKnows2_zps8766ed1f.jpg
 photo TuskegeeNobodyKnows3_zps6d9b6439.jpg

A link of interest: http://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/700001511/B-16516-Nobody_knows_the_trouble_I_see

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!