I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Sunday, February 15, 2015

World War II U.S. Army Ice Creepers Aka Crampons

Today I have for you a pair of World War II era ice creepers or crampons.  Some of you will remember a blog entry that I posted in December of 2013 that showcased an ice creeper from the 1700s.  This pair was manufactured in the 1940s for the United States Army.  The spikes on the bottom were utilized for treading on the ice and snow.  I purchased these at the Fort Indiantown Gap Battle Of The Bulge World War II Reenactment on January 31 of this year.  A Militaria flea market was on the premises.  I highly recommend going to that event.

I filmed part of the video outside.  It was freezing out ... 16 degrees with a -9 wind chill and it was quite windy.  In addition to dealing with the cold and the wind and the airplanes flying overhead, I had trouble fitting these over my sneakers.  I wanted to give a demonstration.  I went back inside after that disaster of an effort.



The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udCopRd_q8c

Photographs ...

 photo WW2Creepers1_zpsefb60ae4.jpg
 photo WW2Creepers2_zpsb1d19d07.jpg
 photo WW2Creepers3_zpsc5a450a8.jpg
 photo WW2Creepers4_zps4c06c61e.jpg
 photo WW2Creepers5_zps2c521aef.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!