Durga Puja is a specific event dedicated to The Goddess, or Devi, Durga that takes place during the autumn festival of Navaratri. It is celebrated in India and all over the world. I, myself, set up an Altar for the occasion. First off, when you see the photos, you will note The Goddess has eight arms. This link will give you a brief explanation as to why She has so many arms on Her body - http://hinduism.about.com/od/hindugoddesses/a/durga.htm
Here is the Altar (with various images of The Devi, candles, incense and offerings to The Goddess):
You can see here, the box of incense is absolutely apropos as the packaging features Goddess Durga Herself! I pulled a stick out of the box for this purpose:
Symbol of The Divine Feminine:
The sticker to the left features Durga in between two representations of the Swastika, the very beautiful symbol of peace that affirms the positive values of life [in Sanskrit, Svastika (स्वस्तिक)]:
Close-ups of the Amulets:
The intention of this pop-up book is to provide quick Altars for devotees. As you can see, it works very well:
Here is a video of the Shrine/Altar:
Here is the url in case the video does not load properly:
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- Halloween 2010
- Iranians Protest The Appearance Of Jimmy Carter In...
- German Wafers With Dark Chocolate - Check Out What...
- Concert Review: The Early Music Fest Held In Hamil...
- Durga Puja Held On October 14, 2010
- A Trip To Ocean City, New Jersey On October 11, 20...
- Civil War Reenactment At The Fall Festival In Mull...
- Battle Of Germantown Revolutionary War Reenactment...
- Historic Soldiers Weekend At Fort Mifflin In Phila...
- Italian-American Festival At Mercer County Park On...
- The Rally For The Iranian Protesters Held In New Y...
- Civil War Reenactment At Historic Cold Spring Vill...
- Revolutionary War Encampment At Historic Cold Spri...
- Vietnam Veterans Appreciation Day At Fort Mifflin ...
- ▼ October (14)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art