This was a superb Reenactment and it took place at the exact place where the Battle Of Germantown was actually fought. It featured the 1st New Jersey Regiment among others.
The rays of the sun piercing through the clouds and trees create an excellent visual:
Close-up of the Hessian Troops:
Toward the back of the Benjamin Chew House on Cliveden Grounds:
Side view of the Benjamin Chew House. Damage directly and indirectly caused by the conflict can be seen (it has been written that the house was hit with cannon balls and musket fire):
A plaque next to the house and an old tree with the inscription: "THE INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF ARBORICULTURE AND THE NATIONAL ARBORIST ASSOCIATION JOINTLY RECOGNIZE THIS SIGNIFICANT TREE IN THIS BICENTENNIAL YEAR AS HAVING LIVED HERE DURING THE AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY PERIOD 1776 1976":
The tree itself - quite old and quite large! Imagine ... this is the only living specimen on the premises that actually witnessed the Battle Of Germantown in 1777!
Here I am by the plaque and tree:
Many more photos can be found at this link:
Videos of the Reenactment can be found at my youtube page (http://www.youtube.com/MichaelTheResearcher) using the search term "Germantown". There are six videos total.
This was a very well-done Reenactment. As for the historic event itself, despite the Battle being a loss for the Americans, European leaders felt it noteworthy that a recently-raised Army actually lead an attack on the base of a previously-successful, and already-established, enemy combatant. More information can be found at the Reenactors' website (http://www.1nj.org) as well as the host page for Revolutionary Germantown (http://revolutionarygermantown.org).
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- Halloween 2010
- Iranians Protest The Appearance Of Jimmy Carter In...
- German Wafers With Dark Chocolate - Check Out What...
- Concert Review: The Early Music Fest Held In Hamil...
- Durga Puja Held On October 14, 2010
- A Trip To Ocean City, New Jersey On October 11, 20...
- Civil War Reenactment At The Fall Festival In Mull...
- Battle Of Germantown Revolutionary War Reenactment...
- Historic Soldiers Weekend At Fort Mifflin In Phila...
- Italian-American Festival At Mercer County Park On...
- The Rally For The Iranian Protesters Held In New Y...
- Civil War Reenactment At Historic Cold Spring Vill...
- Revolutionary War Encampment At Historic Cold Spri...
- Vietnam Veterans Appreciation Day At Fort Mifflin ...
- ▼ October (14)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art