I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Tribute To Frank Woodruff Buckles

Ladies and gentlemen: The United States Of America has lost its sole surviving Veteran of World War I. The Last of the Doughboys went on his Final March. Frank Woodruff Buckles passed away in the early morning of February 27, 2011. Although I have been posting various tributes and messages for Frank Buckles since February 28, I wanted to give myself time to create an appropriate tribute to him via video.

As some of you know, I met Frank Buckles back in 2009. In this video I discuss what occurred on that day from speaking German to Frank Buckles to his daughter Susannah telling me I "look like a Founding Father" to working out to artifacts to Megaliths to, of course, the two World Wars. I will always cherish the time I spent with him and in the future, when I think back to our meeting, I will always remember it with a smile.



By the way, I forgot to mention when he told me he went to England on the Carpathia, the ship that rescued survivors of the Titanic in 1912, I told him there was still one Titanic survivor living (Millvina Dean).

Here are my blog entries pertaining to Frank Buckles over the last three years:
http://michaeltheresearcher.blogspot.com/2009/02/happy-108th-birthday-to-frank-woodruff.html
http://michaeltheresearcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/veterans-day-2010-and-importance-of.html
http://michaeltheresearcher.blogspot.com/2011/02/frank-woodruff-buckles-americas-last.html

Let us all give a very hearty salute to Frank Buckles and all of America's Great War Veterans!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Michael , what a wonderful tribute. Help join Americans is getting the permission granted for Frank to Lay in Honor, in the Capitol. Not only for himself , but for all of his generation. A facebook page has been created "Honor Frank Buckles Last World War I Veteran" we need everyone's help and support to make this happen.

    "Are we so eager to place those who served during World War I, represented by Buckles, in the category of truly forgotten dead that we cannot pause to pay homage to them one last time?"

    We, as a grateful nation, urge our elected officials to alter their stance and offer a ceremony of recognition in the Capitol Rotunda to the Buckles family. The last doughboy and all of his comrades have earned that small consideration. We have only one chance to get it right. Join the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Thank you for the comment. I am glad you liked the video. I just made another video about the Capitol Rotunda controversy. I totally agree with you - all of us need to focus our efforts on this cause. Frank Buckles and all of the Veterans of the Great War deserve an appropriate ceremony. It is true ... this is our only chance.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!