I found out about this story last week and wanted to blog about it. I just found a website that features an incredible photograph of original Spelling Bee Champion Frank Neuhauser meeting with some Spelling Bee contestants. He may have been signing autographs. Here is the url: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/frank_neuhauser_winner_of_first_national_spelling_bee_dies_at_97/2011/03/21/AB9J9BAB_story.html
Frank Neuhauser was born in 1913, and won the Bee back in 1925. He was awarded three prizes for winning: $500 in gold, a new bicycle and the opportunity to meet with President Calvin Coolidge at the White House. He could very well have been one of the few people left in America who actually met with Coolidge. Years later, he joined the Navy and served in the U.S. during World War II. Given his history, he was sought after for documentaries and in Spelling Bees where people would take photographs with him and request his autograph.
I personally think his passing should have received more publicity.
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- Valve Charger Transforming Action Figure From The ...
- Frank Neuhauser, The Winner Of The First National ...
- In Memory Of Pocahontas - Commemoration and Observ...
- Saint Patrick's Day Earring - Homemade!
- Frank Buckles' Viewing And Funeral At Arlington Na...
- Two Viewings Have Been Scheduled For Frank Woodruf...
- Jonathan Sandys, Winston Churchill's Great-Grandso...
- I Believe Frank Buckles Should Lie In Honor At The...
- Claude Choules Turned 110 On March 3, 2011
- My Tribute To Frank Woodruff Buckles
- ▼ March (10)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art