I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Believe Frank Buckles Should Lie In Honor At The Capitol Rotunda

There is a very unfortunate controversy taking place pertaining to the ceremony to honor the life and Veteran status of Frank Woodruff Buckles, America's Last Survivor of World War I. I, like many others, believe Frank Buckles should Lie In Honor at the Capitol Rotunda in Washington, DC. Other people, specifically John Boehner and Harry Reid, disagree. There are both Democrats and Republicans who believe this should happen and there are both Democrats and Republicans who believe this should not happen so this is not a partisan issue. Some opponents state this will create a negative precedent. I disagree - this is a very positive precedent that should be set. Allowing Frank Buckles to Lie In Honor would open the door to all future Last Survivors of America's conflicts (World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Afghanistan and Iraq).



This is what I have been e-mailing or saying on the telephone (for the most part):
"Good afternoon. My name is Michael. I called this morning in reference to the subject of Frank Woodruff Buckles Lying In Honor in the Capitol Rotunda and I am following up with this e-mail message. I fully support the initiative to allow Frank Buckles to Lie In Honor. I visited America's Last World War I Veteran at his home two years ago and it was a very extraordinary experience ... one that I will always remember and cherish. Allowing the Capitol Rotunda to be used would provide the American people with a very unique opportunity to pay tribute to and say farewell to Frank Buckles and all of this country's Great War Veterans. If approved, I would certainly make the trek to Washington, DC. In no way would I forsake the opportunity to participate in such an important moment in our nation's history. Thank you for your time. Michael"

These are the people to contact ...

1.) Leaders (these are the two people blocking the initiative):
John Boehner 202-225-6205
Harry Reid 202-224-3542

2.) The Senators and Congresspeople from your respective states!!!

3.) West Virginia (to show support):
Jay Rockefeller 304-347-5372
Joe Manchin 202-224-3954
Shelley Moore Capito 304-925-5964

Thank you everyone. This is a very noble cause. All help is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!