I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Mother Of Pearl By George Wilton Ballard With Orchestra Edison Diamond Disc Record 1921

Tonight I have for you a fine balled called "Mother Of Pearl" by the great tenor vocalist George Wilton Ballard with an accompanying Orchestra.  George lived from 1887 to 1950 and he recorded this song in 1921.  What you see in this video is a Diamond Disc 80 RPM Record played on an Edison Disc Phonograph Model C-150.  The Disc machine was made between 1915 and 1919, and originally retailed for $150.  I procured this machine last month.  It sounds fantastic.  The fabric on the platter is a reproduction ... I can't win 'em all.


I decided to play this song for my first C-150 demonstration since it all starts with the Mother.

I purchased the disc at the Philadelphia Record Exchange just off of South Street around 2008 or 2009.  I bought two discs merely as music artifacts.  If you told me that I would have a player for the records in 2014, I would have been shocked by that revelation.


The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbuzb0DvQx0

The disc could use a cleaning:
 photo PearlBallard19211_zpsd062df19.jpg

I did clean the C-150 a bit:
 photo PearlBallard19212_zps44bf5a36.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!