I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year 2013 And The 150th Anniversary Of The Emancipation Proclamation

Happy New Year 2013!!!!

Here is my celebration photo:
Photobucket

Today, January 1, 2013, is the 150th Anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. As you will note from the Proclamation itself, slaves were freed ONLY in the Southern Confederate States. Since the Confederate States Of America was a sovereign nation in and of itself in 1863, I would go as far as to deem the Proclamation pointless because I would think the Confederates would not be concerned with any decree issued by Abraham Lincoln. If "pointless" is too unpleasant of a word for some, certainly the Proclamation is ironic given that slaves were still held in bondage in the North.

Here are two links of interest ...

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/emancipation_proclamation
 http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4h1549.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!