I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Philadelphia: Church For Sale And Odd Pricing On Food

I was in Philadelphia on Saturday, December 4, 2010. I had extra time on the meter so I decided to walk up Spring Garden Street. The intersecting streets are numbered (aka named with numbers) and as those numbers ascended, the city looked worse and worse (dirt, trash on the streets, graffiti, etc). I saw an under-dwelling (a walkway under a bridge that may not even be in use anymore) leading to what almost looked like entering another world ... a filthy world. A Church with a double-spire a couple of blocks ahead caught my eye. I initially got interested in Church Architecture due to my trips to Germany and since returning home, I began to notice and take a greater interest in the churches in the USA too. As I approached the old Church, I saw a realtor's sale sign on its facade. I do not recall ever seeing a sale sign on a Church. I also observed the broken window on the second floor, piles of garbage in the front and the boarded-up entrance. A shame because this is a really nice-looking Church. Neo-Gothic Architecture. Likely 19th century. I actually want to contact the seller to see what the Church costs.

Note: This may have been near 11th street. I do not remember exactly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

To give you an idea of where this is at, the next four pictures were taken while I was standing in front of the Church. I am facing the skyline of Philadelphia with the Church behind me. You will recognize many of the buildings including the PSFS Building (or Loews Philadelphia Hotel), Philadelphia City Hall (with the bronze statue of William Penn), Two Liberty Place, One Liberty Place and the Comcast Center among others.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The next two pictures show what I was facing when entering the city. You can see the double-spires of the Church under the bright light to the left. They were taken as I was going back to my car.
Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the "Odd Pricing" portion of this blog entry. I walked into a Hispanic or Mexican produce/convenience store, and noticed some Bimbo products. I have not had any Bimbo food since I was in Mexico in February of 2007. A couple of them were cheap at $1.29 each so I grabbed them. At the register they came up as $1.89 and $1.19. They need to put a sign by the rack listing the new prices. Very uncommon to see prices that differ from what is printed on the package. Customers would never know until they went to the register to pay. I can easily envision others thinking "What on Earth??".

Photobucket

A quick video of the Church:



The video's url:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXHwybd8LMw

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!