I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Battle Of Trenton Revolutionary War Reenactment And A Visit To The Trent House On December 26, 2010

Trenton, New Jersey began its annual "Patriots' Week" with a rendition of the significant Battle Of Trenton, which was fought on this very day 234 years prior.

The Battle Of Trenton was part of the time line of Reenactments connecting this event to yesterday's Washington's Crossing event. Soldiers took to the streets of Trenton and the city's Mill Hill Park. People walking through town, through the park and leaving church services were treated to, and perhaps shocked by, the sights of the old War For Independence. What made this Reenactment truly special was the light snowfall, and, later, heavy snowfall, that accompanied the troops. I thought the snow was an incredible addition to the overall experience.

Photobucket

General George Washington performed by John Godzieba:
Photobucket

Setting up the cannon to fire:
Photobucket

Here is a video of the actual blast (with a car alarm going off due to the motion of it!):


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

From the streets of Trenton to Mill Hill Park ...

This is a nice shot with the bridge ...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The closing march ... the snow is an awesome touch!
Photobucket

Lining up in front of the Old Barracks:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are two videos of the Reenactment ...





After the Reenactment, I went to the Visitor's Center and made my way to the Trent House. I stumbled upon this pleasant flowing stream:
Photobucket

Photobucket

A video of the river:


Across the street from the Trent House ...

Photobucket

Photobucket

I finally arrived ...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once inside I saw some nice furniture. Here is a shot of a fine case that was holding a candle:
Photobucket

The url for the Trent House's website is http://www.williamtrenthouse.org

A Second Battle Of Trenton Reenactment was scheduled. I walked to the location where it was to be held and no one was around. I assume it was cancelled due to the heavy snowfall ... a pity because the snow would have offered great authenticity to the scene. I walked back to my car and by the time I arrived, my beard was filled with ice!!! Instead of a Revolutionary War Reenactment, perhaps I should have been to an Empire Strikes Back Hoth Reenactment!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a video showing my ice-covered beard:


Many more photos of the day can be found at this link: http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/portaltothepast/Reenactments/Revolutionary%20War/Battle%20Of%20Trenton%2012-26-2010

The various programs and activities of Patriots' Week will be held until December 31. More information can be found at http://patriotsweek.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!