I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Battle Of Saint Vith World War II Reenactment At Fort Mifflin On December 18, 2010

Once again Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania hosted another fine Reenactment. This time World War II took center stage, specifically the Battle Of Saint Vith. I thought this Reenactment was incredible. It featured the Living History Associations known as the 2nd Ranger Batallion, E Company and the 78th U.S. Infantry Division.

I purchased the entrance ticket at the Fort's gift shop and when I stepped out to get a spot to watch the Reenactment, I saw quite a large body of soldiers in 1940s uniforms marching by and heading to their respective positions. Since I have been to so many Revolutionary War and Civil War Reenactments, I got used to the musket guns. Hearing the automatic weapons was indeed an eye-opener. The Allied Troops ran across the bridge and entered the Fort for the Reenactment. They slowly made their advance. I believe the Battle Of Saint Vith is considered to be a German victory so I am not sure why the German Reenactors were gunned down at the end. If anyone can explain why I would be glad to hear from you (perhaps the Germans fell in one part of the Battle??). The photographs and videos below will show you all of the action. I captured footage during the entire event - from beginning to end.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The aftermath ...
Photobucket

A captured Japanese Soldier:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some props that were placed around The Fort:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some uniforms were on display:
Photobucket

Close-up of the Reichsführung-SS uniform:
Photobucket

Many more photos of the day can be found at this link:
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/portaltothepast/Reenactments/World%20War%20II/Battle%20Of%20Saint%20Vith%2012-18-2010

I filmed four videos:







2 comments:

  1. Hello Mike,
    I have checked out some of these photos and I am in a good portion of them. I'm also in several others in other albums. Thank you.
    Jesse
    (Gliderrider327- Youtube Account)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse, Hi there. Glad to hear you made it into a lot of the photos. You can certainly use them in any way. I will likely bump into you somewhere in 2011 if you continue to participate in these reenactments. Thanks for stopping by. Mike

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!