I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Monday, December 22, 2014

A World War II V-Mail By PFC: Private First Class Joseph J. Dohner Postmarked December 21, 1943

The 2014 season of the Historic Soldiers Christmas Series begins!  Shortly after I recorded this video, I lost internet access.  I bought a new computer so I am back.  I uploaded this as quickly as I could.  This was my intended description ...

Happy Holidays!  Today is December 21, 2014 and this video begins the 2014 season of the Historic Soldiers Christmas Series. This episode inaugurates my second year in the series and features the United States Army in World War II. Right now I have for you an example of a letter that a Soldier sent home to his mother. It is in the form of a V-Mail or Victory Mail. V-Mail allowed for a reduction in the shipping volume as far as bulk and weight. It was part of a process involving microfilm. The letters were photographed into microfilm for more efficient shipping, and then enlarged when they reached their respective destinations. Here we see PFC: Private First Class Joseph J. Dohner writing to his mother Mary on December 1, 1943. The envelope was postmarked on December 21, 1943 so today is the 71st anniversary of that postmark. A fine specimen from the Second World War that bestows Christmas Blessings ...


The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6VJeX8YtNc

Here are close-up photographs of the V-Mail and the envelope ...

 photo WW2V-Mail201401_zps06f8c559.jpg
 photo WW2V-Mail201402_zps5224741e.jpg
 photo WW2V-Mail201403_zpsff5cda75.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!