My Friends: The American Civil War Sesquicentennial continues in this very special video and I am very excited to bring you this recording. 2014 marks the 150th Anniversary of the publishing of "Tenting On The Old Camp Ground". The song was written by a man named Walter Kittredge. Walter was drafted into the Union Army, and was discharged shortly after due to his bout with rheumatic fever. Tonight I have for you an extremely old recording of the song. It goes way back to the year 1898. It is one of the earliest recorded examples of the song. The recording session, performed by the Apollo Quartette, took place in April of 1898. This record was pressed on the Berliner Gramophone label (catalog number 4264). It does not play at 78 rpm - there was not a standard speed in those days. It plays in the high 60s or low 70s. I made the speed adjustment on the Victor Victrola Model 4 (VV-IV) that I am using for the presentation. The Victrola dates to 1915. Out of all of the machines that I have, the VV-IV is the closest to the date of the record. I used a loud tone needle for this recording. It sounds good when the camera is close to the speaker. That is why the majority of the video is in that vicinity of the Victrola.
The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVgQKhWVVZk
The Berliner Gramophone company was started by a German immigrant named Emile Berliner. Emile was not a Military Veteran. To the contrary - he fled Europe to avoid being drafted for the Franco-Prussian War in 1870.
In the video, I mentioned that the record was partially stamped and partially etched by hand. I provided a few shots at different angles so you can see ...
The etchings are "Male Quartette 72-12 Tenting On The Old Camp Ground Apollo Quartette Washington, DC 4/98"
Additional information can be found at this url: http://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/2000148917/4264-Tenting_on_the_old_campground
This link will give you more information on Emile Berliner and his Gramophone company: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/berlhtml/berlgramo.html
I hope you enjoyed this 116-year-old recording of "Tenting On The Old Camp Ground"!!!
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- German Publication Die Woche From December 5, 1914...
- Camp Holly Military Document From December 1814
- The 100th Anniversary Of The Christmas Truce Durin...
- World War I German Feldpostkarte And Tannenbaum Ar...
- The Evening Star Christmas Eve 1969 Edition With V...
- A World War II V-Mail By PFC: Private First Class ...
- The Fourth Annual Krampuslauf Krampus Parade Was H...
- December 9, 2014 Marks The Three Year Anniversary ...
- Weihnachtsmarkt In Sparta, New Jersey Held On Dece...
- Battle For Schmidt World War II Reenactment Held I...
- GTV Almrausch, The Damenchor Wald Echo And The Fra...
- Apollo Quartette With Tenting On The Old Camp Grou...
- Jolly Coppersmith By The Zonophone Orchestra Zon-o...
- ▼ December (13)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art