Merry Christmas to you! It is Christmas Day, December 25, 2014 and this video concludes the Second Season of the Historic Soldiers Christmas Series. The Christmas Truce during the First World War took place on this day one century ago and this episode of the Historic Soldiers Christmas Series focuses on the Truce from the perspective of the British Army. 100 years ago, the British Troops and the German Troops put down their weapons and celebrated the Holiday in No Man's Land. In honor of this Centennial, I have with me two pages from a British publication titled The Illustrated War News that report on this very, very special moment in human history.
The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP6NnvTcneI
I pronounced estaminet incorrectly. It is a French word and, unfortunately, I have forgotten statistically 100% of what I learned in the two years that I took French in the 1980s. I looked up the pronunciation of the word during the editing of this video.
Here you see pages 42 and 43 of The Illustrated War News from its January 20, 1915 (Part 24) edition. Similar to what we have today with post dating, this issue may have been on the shelves in December of 1914.
The only part of the text that may be too blurry to read is "(Continued opposite)" in the bottom right corner:
I am very glad to bring this to you. I consider the Christmas Truce during World War I to be one of the most extraordinary and one of the most incredible events in human history. I thank all of you for watching/reading and observing the Centennial of World War I.
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- German Publication Die Woche From December 5, 1914...
- Camp Holly Military Document From December 1814
- The 100th Anniversary Of The Christmas Truce Durin...
- World War I German Feldpostkarte And Tannenbaum Ar...
- The Evening Star Christmas Eve 1969 Edition With V...
- A World War II V-Mail By PFC: Private First Class ...
- The Fourth Annual Krampuslauf Krampus Parade Was H...
- December 9, 2014 Marks The Three Year Anniversary ...
- Weihnachtsmarkt In Sparta, New Jersey Held On Dece...
- Battle For Schmidt World War II Reenactment Held I...
- GTV Almrausch, The Damenchor Wald Echo And The Fra...
- Apollo Quartette With Tenting On The Old Camp Grou...
- Jolly Coppersmith By The Zonophone Orchestra Zon-o...
- ▼ December (13)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art