I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Freedom For Egypt Rally Held In New York City On February 5, 2011

On Saturday, February 5, 2011, I was back in Manhattan, New York for a Rally in support of the Protesters in Egypt. This was the third Rally I attended this year (blog entries for the other two Rallies can be found at http://michaeltheresearcher.blogspot.com/2011/01/freedom-for-egypt-rally-held-in-jersey.html and http://michaeltheresearcher.blogspot.com/2011/01/freedom-for-egypt-rally-held-in-new.html). It was raining, it was cold and it was many miles from home (my drive to the train station was about 40 minutes, the train ride to get to New York City was about 90 minutes and the walk to the Rally itself was a little over 30 minutes ... all one way), but I had to be present to show my support for this all-important Movement and to the Protesters and Freedom Fighters who are making this extraordinary Movement happen. The Rally was held at the Dag Hammarskjold Plaza. Some of the photographs will show interference by the rain and have some blurring due to my trying to wipe the wetness off of the camera.

Here is a shot of the United Nations Building near where the Rally was being held:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some signs that were used during the Rally:

Photobucket

Here you see what I believe to be the Egyptian Goddess Bast along with two Ankhs and the phrase "MUBA-RATS OUT!" ... a play on the phrase "Mubarak Out" in reference to the current President of Egypt, Hosni Mubarak.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This video includes excerpts from some fine speeches. I want to point out the words of one of the speakers featured in this video. I was not recording when he made this statement, but I would like it to be known ... he envisioned an Egypt where Muslims, Christians and Atheists (and everybody else) were all guaranteed equal rights under the law. It is this kind of unifying spirit that should influence all of us in North America and all around the world to take notice and support this campaign. This Movement is about everybody being represented and finally living in peace. All of the naysayers and pessimists should really give the Egyptians a chance. They have already made a(n) incredible and monumental first step. We should support them with their subsequent steps. I wish I could have filmed more, but I was going back and forth with the video camcorder and the photograph camera. You will see some interference from the rain, but all in all, it turned out well.


The url for the video above is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNvc0QX1kI

The Egyptian Association For Change hosted the Rally. Their website is: http://eacusa.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!