I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Princess Mary Brass Gift Box From World War I And The 99th Anniversary Of The Christmas Truce

Hello everyone. Merry Christmas. Today is December 25, 2013 and this is the final episode of the Historic Soldiers Christmas Series for this year. This episode's focus is on World War I and the British Army. 99 years ago, there was a Truce that took place on Christmas Eve into Christmas Day and beyond. British Troops and German Troops left the trenches and met in No Man's Land. There they engaged in conversation, carol singing, gift giving and a football game. Next year will be the Centennial of this very extraordinary event. There are a number of tour groups organizing visits to the actual premises in Belgium where the Christmas Truce took place. I would like to attend this Centennial Event. There will also be an opportunity for the tourists to participate in the football game.

As I had mentioned, gifts were given. In the following video, I will show you an example of what could very well have been traded in No Man's Land during the Truce ... a Brass Gift Box. Princess Mary thought to present a Christmas gift to the Soldiers and Nurses. This video will give you more information about this gift ... a Relic of a very horrible War which included a very incredible Truce.


Url for the above video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTMDcWYNFc

I will be reporting much more on the Centennial of the Christmas Truce as well as the overall Centennial of World War I that will begin next year.

Footage of last year's Christmas Truce Reenactment held in Philadelphia as well as further information on the Princess Mary Brass Gift Box/Christmas Tin can be found at this blog entry: http://michaeltheresearcher.blogspot.com/2012/12/world-war-i-christmas-truce-of-1914.html


I look forward to continuing the Historic Soldiers Christmas Series next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!