I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Union Army Camp And The First Appearance Of Thomas Nast's Santa Claus In Harper's Weekly

Seasons Greetings to you! Today is December 8, 2013 and I am representing a Union Army Soldier. This is my first video and blog entry in a new series titled Historic Soldiers Christmas.

In this episode, I am showcasing an issue of Harper's Weekly postdated January 3, 1863 so it was on the shelves in late 1862. The cover of this issue features a Union Army Camp with what is believed to be the very first appearance of Thomas Nast's Santa Claus.


Today there happened to be some heavy snow coming down and it gave me an excellent idea. I was planning on beginning my Historic Soldiers Christmas series with this video last week and I am glad that I waited because this day's scenario was perfect. As a matter of fact, I wanted to make a video and blog entry for this specific issue last year since it was the 150th Anniversary of its publication and I never got around to doing it. Once again, I am glad that I waited.

This also ties in with the American Civil War Sesquicentennial Observance.

Video:

Url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GeCZG9dHuo

Here is a screenshot from the video (no need for concern - the issue is in a protective sleeve):
 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus01_zps79051139.jpg

Photographs of this enormously historic issue ...

 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus02a_zps2691df7b.jpg 

You will note that Santa is in Patriotic Attire here:
 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus02b_zpsed805aeb.jpg
 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus03_zpse77985b5.jpg
 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus04_zpsf55fde8a.jpg

I posted two of this area of the issue due to the lighting differences ...

 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus05_zps3bebaf52.jpg
 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus06_zps2d21d309.jpg
 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus07_zpsd738b390.jpg

The back page featuring advertisements, two of which are fitting for this blog entry:
 photo HarpersWeeklyFirstThomasNastSantaClaus08_zps33141b39.jpg

As previously stated, this is the first video and blog entry in my series titled Historic Soldiers Christmas. I hope to post a few more videos and blog entries this year and many more in subsequent years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!