On December 8, 2012, Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania hosted a Reenactment I have been waiting years to see ... The Christmas Truce Of 1914 during World War I. As a matter of fact, I had never seen any kind of World War I Reenactment so this was very special. It was after 5:00 PM and quite dark out so the photos are not the best. Despite that, it was an amazing event and, most importantly, it covered what I consider to be one of the most extraordinary moments, if not the most extraordinary moment, in human history.
The Fort's informational brochure for the Reenactment:
Here is a brief clip I filmed featuring the Reenactors performing "Adeste Fideles" aka "O Come, All Ye Faithful" aka "O Come, Let Us Adore Him".
This is the url for the video in case it does not embed properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPu4rEvfUGE
The German Barracks ...
The British Barracks ...
In honor of the event, I brought along an actual Christmas Tin created by Princess Mary for the British Personnel in 1914. This very one could have been carried by a Soldier during the Christmas Truce 98 years ago. I thought it appropriate to bring this fitting artifact to the event. I just acquired it in May of this year.
Here are four links that discuss the Tin ...
I give much credit to everyone who organized and participated in this Reenactment of the Christmas Truce Of 1914. It is an episode in history that must never be forgotten and should actually be discussed and portrayed frequently.
Here is the url for Fort Mifflin's website: http://fortmifflin.us It will be updated with their 2013 schedule shortly.
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- A Tribute To Florence Green, The Final World War I...
- The Shinn-Curtis Log House's 300th Anniversary!
- A Victorian Cane Or Walking Stick That Was Present...
- The 235th Anniversary Commemoration Of The March I...
- War Of 1812 Recruitment Document From December 18,...
- The 242nd Anniversary Of Ludwig Van Beethoven's Ba...
- December 9, 2012 Marks The One Year Anniversary Of...
- World War I Christmas Truce Of 1914 Reenactment He...
- Two Czech Items For Krampusnacht On December 5, 20...
- Besse Cooper, The World's Oldest Person, Passed Aw...
- ▼ December (10)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art