My Friends: Today is the 150th Anniversary of The Battle Of Cedar Creek ... also known as The Battle Of Belle Grove. The Skirmish is widely known as Sheridan's Ride as well. The Battle took place as part of the American Civil War and featured the Union General Philip Sheridan. Thomas Buchanan Read wrote a poem called Sheridan's Ride based on the pivotal victory that took place there. In this video I have for you a Recitation of Sheridan's Ride by Edgar L. Davenport. It is on a Thomas Edison Blue Amberol Cylinder Record. This is the second pressing from 1913 (catalog number 1957). I also have a 19th century photograph of General Philip Sheridan. The record is played on a Thomas Edison Amberola Phonograph VI-B or BVI. Unfortunately, the sound is a bit distorted. I had my camera too close to the horn. Decreasing the volume definitely helps soften the harsh sound.
The url for the above video in case it does not embed properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQKN0EBPJQc
Thank you for continuing to observe the American Civil War Sesquicentennial with me.
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- Halloween Can Be For Vegans 2014
- Haunted Haddon Halloween Car Show In Camden, New J...
- The 50th Anniversary Of The Passing Of President H...
- The 150th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Cedar Creek...
- 18th Century Field Day And The Assault On Fort Mer...
- The Witches Ball In Mount Holly, NJ On October 11,...
- How Could I Know By The Peerless Quartette 1913 Co...
- Battle Of Germantown Revolutionary War Reenactment...
- ▼ October (8)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art