I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Procession Of Saints At The Italian Market Festival In Philadelphia On May, 15 2011

On May 15, 2011, the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania held its annual Italian-American/Italian Market Fest within the Italian Market area. This was my first time attending this particular Festival and I had anticipated the day's arrival with great interest. There were a number of vendors selling food, souvenirs, toys and more.

Photobucket

What could have very well been the highlight of the event for many was the Procession Of Saints.

Here you see the Saint Statues being lined up and prepared for the Procession ...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

At this point I saw another Procession following ... this time it was a group of Mexican Catholics. I did not expect to see a Mexican group in the parade since this was an Italian Fest. I suppose it was some kind of Catholic Ecumenical statement.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I passed by a bakery with some nice-looking cakes so I took a couple pictures ...

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a seated area of the Italian Market (with the Saint Paul Parish in the background):
Photobucket

Approaching the Church where a Mass is about to be held:
Photobucket

Lining up the Statues before they are carried up the steps and into the Church:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Quite a task:
Photobucket

The Church's sign promoting the event:
Photobucket

More photographs can be found at this link: http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u213/portaltothepast/Festivals/Italian/Italian%20American%20Fest%20May%2015%202011/?start=all

Here is a video of the Procession:

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!