Today is April 20, 2011. On this day back in the year 1863, Helen Dortch Longstreet was born. Helen was the second wife and widow of Confederate General James Longstreet. Helen was known as the "Fighting Lady" because she was involved in a number of causes including the creation of Confederate monuments, civil rights and the protection of the environment. In addition, she was a Rosie The Riveter during World War II.
In honor of her birthday, I thought I would dig into the archives and pull out a few items ...
Here is an Associated Press photograph, most likely from the year 1958:
Here is a Life Magazine from December 27, 1943 with an article about her ...
With her husband, James:
Here are a three letters and a check. This blog entry can also be considered a brief signature study since there are three variations of her signature in this collection ...
There is VERY interesting content in this letter:
My video tribute to Helen Longstreet:
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- Neshaminy State Park Civil War Reenactment And Enc...
- DeLia's Gun Shop In Philadelphia, PA Was The Targe...
- Helen Dortch Longstreet Birth Anniversary 2011
- Walter Breuning Passed Away On Thursday At The Age...
- Harry Coover, Inventor Of Super Glue, Passed Away ...
- Today Begins The American Civil War Sesquicentenni...
- The American Civil War Sesquicentennial Begins In ...
- Operation Overlord: Assault On Vierville-Sur-Mer W...
- Colored Troops Civil War Reenactment Held At Fort ...
- ▼ April (9)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art