I recorded the video and typed the description for this blog entry on April 10, 2015. I then went out, and did not return home until April 11, 2015. Here it is one day late ...
It is April 10, 2015 and this post pertains to the American Civil War Sesquicentennial. On this day 150 years ago, President Abraham Lincoln addressed an audience in front of the White House. He informed the crowd of the previous day's surrender at Appomattox Court House, and requested that the musicians in attendance perform "Dixie". "Dixie" was a song written prior to the conflict, and was popular throughout the United States Of America. Tonight I have for you a version of "Dixie" performed by the Edison Symphony Orchestra. The record was pressed on the Edison label (Catalog number 9541), and was released in 1907. It is possible that the song was recorded in 1906. I am going to play the record on an Edison Standard Phonograph Model B. This machine was made in 1905 and 1906.
The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqHRQFqjwM
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- Neshaminy State Park Civil War Reenactment And Enc...
- Purchases From The Mechanical Music Extravaganza I...
- Tuxedo Dance Orchestra - My Isle Of Golden Dreams ...
- Abraham Lincoln And George Washington Apotheosis C...
- John Wilkes Booth Shot Abraham Lincoln On This Day...
- "Dixie" By The Edison Symphony Orchestra 1906/1907...
- The 150th Anniversary Of Robert E. Lee's Surrender...
- Specimens Of Confederate Currency 1860s Four State...
- "Just Before The Battle, Mother" By Jim Doherty Ed...
- ▼ April (9)
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art