I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Saturday, April 11, 2015

"Dixie" By The Edison Symphony Orchestra 1906/1907 Edison Cylinder Record

I recorded the video and typed the description for this blog entry on April 10, 2015.  I then went out, and did not return home until April 11, 2015.  Here it is one day late ...

It is April 10, 2015 and this post pertains to the American Civil War Sesquicentennial.  On this day 150 years ago, President Abraham Lincoln addressed an audience in front of the White House.  He informed the crowd of the previous day's surrender at Appomattox Court House, and requested that the musicians in attendance perform "Dixie".  "Dixie" was a song written prior to the conflict, and was popular throughout the United States Of America.  Tonight I have for you a version of "Dixie" performed by the Edison Symphony Orchestra.  The record was pressed on the Edison label (Catalog number 9541), and was released in 1907.  It is possible that the song was recorded in 1906.  I am going to play the record on an Edison Standard Phonograph Model B.  This machine was made in 1905 and 1906.



The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqHRQFqjwM

 photo Edison Dixie 9541_zpsfkx2jcu3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!