I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Friday, November 18, 2011

I Support Aliaa Magda Elmahdy

An Egyptian-Arab female feminist activist posted a nude photograph of herself on her blog as a way to express herself with full freedom in the spirit of the Arab Spring. She is speaking out against "a society of violence, racism, sexism, sexual harassment and hypocrisy" (aka Egypt). What makes this even more noteworthy is the fact that she is using her real name - Aliaa Magda Elmahdy.

This is her blog: http://arebelsdiary.blogspot.com

Here is an Iranian Freedom website covering the topic (I first heard about Aliaa through this source): http://www.iran-free.org/archives/5595/

As some of you know, I frequently speak out against women who pose for Playboy, but this case is different. Given the circumstances, I support this woman 100%. The glass ceiling must be broken and when the glass ceiling is broken, it can never be broken again. The glass ceiling has been broken. It has happened ... Aliaa posed nude and all of us should acknowledge it in a greater context and reflect on it.

I have looked at her photo a number of times and although, like everyone else, I see a woman's brazen nakedness, to me, what I am really seeing in that nudity is the physical embodiment of true freedom and the physical manifestation of self-determination. I see the intent and I see it in the context of a repressive and an oppressive Egyptian society. Very incredible and very moving. Much like the Iranian Protesters did in 2009, this brave woman Aliaa Magda Elmahdy has put the concept of Freedom into a new perspective for me here in America.

To Miss Aliaa Magda Elmahdy ... What you did was very incredible. You have my respect. To me, it is not the naked body - it is the intent behind the photograph. You are the quintessential Freedom Fighter of our time. You have my total support and I will continue to spread the word.

In this video, I give my statement of support for Aliaa:

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!