An Egyptian-Arab female feminist activist posted a nude photograph of herself on her blog as a way to express herself with full freedom in the spirit of the Arab Spring. She is speaking out against "a society of violence, racism, sexism, sexual harassment and hypocrisy" (aka Egypt). What makes this even more noteworthy is the fact that she is using her real name - Aliaa Magda Elmahdy.
This is her blog: http://arebelsdiary.blogspot.com
Here is an Iranian Freedom website covering the topic (I first heard about Aliaa through this source): http://www.iran-free.org/archives/5595/
As some of you know, I frequently speak out against women who pose for Playboy, but this case is different. Given the circumstances, I support this woman 100%. The glass ceiling must be broken and when the glass ceiling is broken, it can never be broken again. The glass ceiling has been broken. It has happened ... Aliaa posed nude and all of us should acknowledge it in a greater context and reflect on it.
I have looked at her photo a number of times and although, like everyone else, I see a woman's brazen nakedness, to me, what I am really seeing in that nudity is the physical embodiment of true freedom and the physical manifestation of self-determination. I see the intent and I see it in the context of a repressive and an oppressive Egyptian society. Very incredible and very moving. Much like the Iranian Protesters did in 2009, this brave woman Aliaa Magda Elmahdy has put the concept of Freedom into a new perspective for me here in America.
To Miss Aliaa Magda Elmahdy ... What you did was very incredible. You have my respect. To me, it is not the naked body - it is the intent behind the photograph. You are the quintessential Freedom Fighter of our time. You have my total support and I will continue to spread the word.
In this video, I give my statement of support for Aliaa:
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- Thanksgiving Edition Of Life Magazine From Novembe...
- Drifter Transforming Action Figure From The M.A.R....
- Facebook Blocked Me From Posting Due To My Support...
- I Support Aliaa Magda Elmahdy
- 234th Anniversary Of The Siege Of Fort Mifflin Ree...
- Veterans Day: America's First Without Any World Wa...
- Reenactment Of The Election Of 1836 And The Women'...
- ▼ November (7)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art