This is a bit different for the Easter Holiday. Here is an image of Eastre - you will note the r and the e are in different places. Eastre (or Ostara as She was named in the 1800s) is The Goddess Of Spring and the namesake of the day that is celebrated with bunnies, eggs and more. The image itself is quite rare - no definitive information is available on it ... as a matter of fact, no information is available on it at all. I would define the picture as Victorian Scrap (perhaps from a calendar) since it assuredly dates from the 1880s or 1890s. It is also rare due to how The Goddess is depicted - particularly the moon in Her crown. Extremely rare for someone to have drawn that in the Victorian Era. It would not be unreasonable to speculate that the image depicts The Goddess Diana since She is typically drawn wearing the moon crown, but given the setting and the animals, this is certainly that of Eastre. The fragment is a delight to behold since She looks so much like the charming girls ubiquitously-seen on scrap pieces of that age combined with the traditional elements of Her Presence. Enjoy. Here are two shots of the scrap since it was difficult to get one good one:
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- Floralia: Festival Of The Roman Goddess Flora (Shr...
- Colored Troops Civil War Reenactment Held At Fort ...
- This Weekend: Colored Troops Civil War Reenactment...
- Victorian-Era Print Of The Goddess Eastre
- German Imports For Easter 2010
- Some Artifacts Pertaining To Good Friday
- The Roman Festival Of Veneralia Dedicated To The G...
- ▼ April (7)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art