I would like to introduce you to a lesser-known figure in American History, William Maxwell Evarts. He was heavily involved in the most important events of his day, but he is but an obscure figure in the present. His history ...
1818-1901. Delegate at the 1860 RNC - nominated William Seward. Defense in the Andrew Johnson Impeachment Trial. Counsel for Rutherford Hayes versus Samuel Tilden in the 1876 election controversy. Secured funds for the Statue Of Liberty.
Family - his grandfather was Declaration Of Independence signer, Roger Sherman. His great-grandson was Archibald Cox who was the prosecutor during Richard Nixon's Watergate Scandal so he and his great-grandson were involved with two Presidents' court proceedings.
Some photos of a portrait print and an autographed card:
Perhaps I will get around to framing the two of them together some day:
A video for you ...
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ▼ March (6)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art