Iwo Jima - a battle during World War II that cost both the Americans and the Japanese thousands of lives. Commemorations have taken place in the United States today and many have duly noted the belligerence of this specific conflict. The fighting lasted from February 19, 1945 until March 26, 1945 and although the War ultimately ended on September 2 of that year, two Japanese soldiers on the island of Iwo Jima did not surrender until 1949 or 1951 (accounts vary). Such soldiers are referred to as "holdouts" and "stragglers".
On February 23, 1945, a photo was taken ... and not just any photo. The flag raising at Iwo Jima is one of the most recognizable images in American History and perhaps all History. The image most people know was actually the second flag raising of the day; the first flag was not large enough to be seen from other landing beaches so it was replaced with a larger flag. Here is an autograph of Charles Lindberg - he was part of the first flag raising and is believed to have been the last survivor of both flag raisings (he passed away in 2007).
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ► 2013 (51)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ▼ February (6)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art