I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Ragtime Violin By The Premier Quartette 1913 Blue Amberol Cylinder Record

All week, people had been askin' me, "Michael Mike, what are you doin' this Friday?" an' I told 'em, "This Friday night, I'm gonna be listenin' to a lil' 'Ragtime Violin'".  Here is a Thomas Edison 4 Minute Blue Amberol Cylinder Record played on a Thomas Edison BVI, or VI-B, Amberola Phonograph. The song, once again, is titled "Ragtime Violin" and is performed by the Premier Quartette (also known as the American Quartet). It was released in 1913. The song was written by Irving Berlin in 1911.  Irving lived from 1888 to 1989 - 101 years!!!  It would have been nice if he signed this cylinder!  He may have been the Last Survivor of the Cylinder Age!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXspakp46j0

Photograph of the cylinder in the mandrel:
 photo RagtimeCylinder1_zpsc27ebce7.jpg

I bought this old and supposedly overhauled Phonograph last month and it is already giving me problems.  I will use it as long as it spins the cylinders.

Information about the record can be found at these links:
http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?queryType=@attr%201=1016%20&query=ragtime+violin&num=1&start=4&sortBy=&sortOrder=ia
www.songlyrics.com/berlin-irving/ragtime-violin!-6-oct-1911-lyrics

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recording of "Ragtime Violin". It reinforces my feeling that tunes were played or sung at comfortable tempi unlike the crash and bang of today.
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles, Hello. Thank you for the comment. I am glad that you like the recording. I have a bunch of other records to upload in the coming weeks and months ahead. A couple are on deck for late November too.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!