I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Juke Box Polka 78 RPM Record: Before And After A Cleaning And A Stylus/Needle Change

This is a "Before And After" video for a 78 RPM record that I recently acquired. It is titled "Juke Box Polka" by Johnny Vadnal And His Orchestra. I also recently acquired a used Audiotronics 304E record player as well as a couple new old stock dual-needle cartridges. I played the record before cleaning it with the old needle and then I played the record after it was cleaned with a new needle.

 
Part 1 was filmed on April 2, 2013 and Part 2 was filmed on April 3, 2013.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm-HdgyhC_o

Here is my assessment ...

1.) The scratch sounds are gone and only the background noise remains.
2.) It actually sounded clearer and otherwise better when it was dirty ... it has a muffled sound now. I can only guess that the original needle was manufactured closer to the time of 78s and therefore will allow superior sound quality whereas the other needle was manufactured, I presume, in the 1960s or the 1970s or possibly the 1980s. Either that or I messed up the 78 record by cleaning it, haha.


I did take "Before And After" photographs. Unfortunately, they look almost exactly alike. This is due to the amount of scuffs on the record as opposed to dirt.

By the way, the record is dated between 1946 and 1952. I used this link http://majesticrecord.com/labelsvictor.htm to come to that conclusion.

I am very happy with the Audiotronics 304E. It is doing what I want it to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!