Good evening. This is Michael. It is February 13, 2013 and on this eve of Valentine's Day, I have love to share with all the ladies out there. This blog entry features two Love Tokens fashioned from Seated Liberty Dimes from the 1880s. One is dated 1882 and the other is dated 1886.
Love Tokens are engraved coins. In the late 1800s, it was quite common for people to smooth over and engrave coins with initials or another kind of design. The two examples presented here are engraved with the initials "CIS" and "FHH".
The url for the above video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-1x-H25Vs
These are two wonderful expressions of love and romance in the nineteenth century. I hope all of you enjoyed viewing these lovely specimens of the Victorian Age. Thank you for watching everyone and I wish you and your special someone a very Happy Valentine's Day.
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ▼ February (3)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art