February 4 ... on this day one year ago, Florence Green departed this Earth and on this day one-hundred years ago, Rosa Parks entered this Earth. Exactly who are these women and what did they do?
Florence Green was born in Edmonton, London in England on February 19, 1901. At the age of seventeen, Florence joined the Women's Royal Air Force during World War One and eventually became the absolute Last Surviving Veteran of The Great War. Florence signed up with the WRAF because she wanted to do her part for the War Effort. She passed away on February 4, 2012.
Rosa Parks was born in Tuskegee, Alabama in the United States Of America on February 4, 1913. At the age of forty-two, Rosa refused to give up her seat on a bus and her refusal helped usher in the Civil Rights Movement in America. Rosa did not stand up for her belief ... she sat down for her belief and talk of her act of defiance was heard all over the world. She passed away on October 24, 2005.
The previous two paragraphs describe quite succinctly what these two women did and this is how they will be remembered forevermore.
Florence Green stood up to the challenge of her day and Rosa Parks sat down to the challenge of her day.
How will you be remembered? By watching the super bowl ... or as I call it, the stupid bowl or the toilet bowl? By drinking alcohol? By doing drugs? What will you leave behind and is that how you wish to be remembered?
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
- ► 2014 (75)
- ▼ February (3)
- ► 2012 (34)
- ► 2011 (64)
- ► 2010 (55)
- Abraham Lincoln Newspaper Campaign Token Postcard Abe
- Astronomy Sky Nightsky Planet Mars Moon
- Bob Heft American Flag America
- Centenarian Frank Woodruff Buckles Veteran World War One WW1 WWI Doughboy Autograph Autographed Signed Signature Germany
- Civil War Confederate War Peace
- Confederate General Roger Atkinson Pryor Grave Civil War Confederacy
- General President George Washington Birthday Postcard
- Hoover Eisenhower President Autograph
- Iran Protests
- Iranian Persian Sakineh Freedom
- Longevity Centenarian Super-Centenarian
- Moon Aldebaran Venus Mars Jupiter
- President William Henry Harrison Tippecanoe Log Cabin Campaign Token Tokens Signed Autographed Letter Autograph Signature Benjamin
- Princeton New Jersey NJ Battlefield Revolution Revolutionary War Hugh Mercer County
- Revolution Graves Cemetery 1700s 1800s
- Valentine's Day Saint Valentine Victorian Cards Victoriana Card Art