I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Visiting Revolutionary War Veterans' Graves At The Old Newton Friends Burial Ground On July 4, 2009

In honor of the day and in the spirit of the eighteenth century, I stopped by The Old Newton Friends Burial Ground In Haddon Township, New Jersey to look at some old Soldiers' graves and to offer my appreciation.

I visit this cemetery a few times a year and I always make a point to visit these Veterans' graves on the 4th Of July. There is also one War Of 1812 Veteran buried here. Since the year 1886, local residents knew the cemetery was in poor shape and in 2009, it is even worse. Vandalism (vandalising the grave of someone who helped create this nation???), neglect, onslaught of the elements ... all aid to the rapid deterioration of this burial ground. We can do better. These Soldiers made a sacrifice for us ... can we make a far less arduous sacrifice for them???

Here is a short documentary clip where I visit each Soldier's grave:



Here is the url if the clip does not embed properly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGZpPIPvCcc

Here is the grave of Joseph Branson:

Photobucket

Joseph Githens:

Photobucket

Here is a close-up of the damage (perhaps I can find a photo of the tombstone from the past year or so and see if this was caused by recent vandalism):

Photobucket

Joseph Zane Collings (this should be of interest to residents and alumni of Collingswood):

Photobucket

Jacob Evaul (photo taken with flash at 7:59 PM):

Photobucket

Jacob Evaul (photo taken without flash at 7:59 PM ... note the difference; it's like night and day!):

Photobucket

Here I am by the old Vet's grave:

Photobucket

I would like to believe these are original nineteenth century grave stones, but they could be from the 1930s (I obviously need to research further). I know the plaques that have been set in the ground facing upward are very likely from the 1930s.

The burial ground borders Haddon Township, Collingswood, Woodlynne and Oaklyn. If you live in the area or if you are the type of person who likes to travel, I would certainly suggest visiting this small old cemetery. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
Free counters!