I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Moon, Venus, Aldebaran, Mars And Even Jupiter Were Out On Display Sunday Morning!

A real treat for sky-, star-, moon- and planet-gazers took place on Sunday morning, July 19, 2009. These bodies met in the North/Northeast part of the sky on July 17, 18 and 19, but the first two days were cloudy (I was up prior to 5:00 AM on all three days!). Persistency certainly paid off as I caught an excellent view on the 19th.

The Moon, Venus, Aldebaran (of the Constellation Taurus) and Mars!
Moon Venus, Aldebaran and Mars

The same photo now labelled so you can see what is what. Note: the helium star Aldebaran is 44.2 TIMES the diameter of our Sun (and you thought the Sun was huge!?)!!!
Moon, Venus, Aldebaran and Mars!

Another shot. Look at the clouds - very nice.
Moon, Venus, Aldebaran and Mars!

Notice the sky changing color ... this was taken only three minutes after the previous one!
Moon, Venus, Aldebaran and Mars!

If I am not mistaken, it appears as if the Planet Jupiter stopped by for a visit as well! Looking South.
Jupiter

Jupiter wanted to witness the meeting of the other four too!
Jupiter

As this point, only the Crescent Moon and Venus remained in the North.
Moon and Venus

Moon and Venus

Since I am on the topic of Mars, I thought I'd take my Meteorite Collection out and show a sample from it! Here is a very small fragment of the Red Planet (the Martian specimen is classified as NWA 4880: Achondrite: Shergottite). It floated in outer space for a while and landed on Earth in 2007.
Mars 4880 Martian Meteorite

I may as well show some tiny fragments of the Moon too! Found in April 2002. Lunar Meteorite Classification - NEA001: Achondrite: Anorth.
NEA001 Moon Lunar Meteorite

I look to post much more from this area of observation and collecting in the coming months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
Free counters!