I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Friday, May 30, 2014

A 2014 Call To Restore Memorial Day Back To May 30 As Opposed To The Last Monday Of May

Memorial Day was initially called Decoration Day and, for years, was observed on May 30.  It eventually became "observed" on the final Monday of May.  I type "observe" in quotes because the Day and the Day's intention have been trivialized by the change.  I wish to see Memorial Day/Decoration Day returned to a single sole concrete day as opposed to the absolutely disgusting last Monday of May "kick-off" to the summer.  There are various petitions online that people can sign.  I signed one in 2008.  Many Soldiers were killed in combat and to transform a day honoring their deaths to a convenient kick-off to the summer is no doubt disgraceful.

Here is a postcard from the era when Memorial Day was called Decoration Day and was solely a Union North observance or commemoration. It was postmarked in 1910.
 photo DecorationDayPC_zps5a74f9a9.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!