I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

On This Day 150 Years ago, Camp William Penn Was Inaugurated And The First Members Of The U.S.C.T. Arrived

On this day 150 years ago, Camp William Penn was inaugurated and the first Members of the United States Colored Troops (U.S.C.T.), the Black Soldiers of the Union, arrived. In honor of the day and in honor of the overall Sesquicentennial of the American Civil War, I travelled to Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, the location of Camp William Penn, to commemorate this occasion. That iron gate you see is all that remains of the Camp. That gate is a century and a half old! 

 photo CampWilliamPennJune262013_zps22073270.jpg

Unfortunately I could not record any video footage due to the heavy rain. I look to return to this site very, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
Free counters!