I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Florence Green, The Absolute Last Surviving Veteran Of World War I, Passed Away At The Age Of 110

My friends: Planet Earth has lost its undisputed absolute last Veteran of World War I. Today I received word that Florence Green, a mess waitress of the Women's Royal Air Force, passed away quietly in her home on February 4, 2012. She signed up and entered the service in September of 1918, two months prior to the Armistice, and left the WRAF in July of 1919. Florence was 110 years old. Out of the more than 70 million Military Personnel mobilized in the conflict, she was the final Veteran standing. Her passing closes the book on the Great War. An extremely hearty to salute to The Last Of The Last!

Here is a news link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9066371/Last-surviving-veteran-of-First-World-War-dies-aged-110.html

Amazing photographs can be found at this link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2097721/End-era-surviving-World-War-One-veteran-dies-just-111th-birthday.html?ITO=1490

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.
Free counters!