I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Media Mistakenly Calls Basij Members Iranian "Students" In The Solidarity With The Occupy Movement Rally And The Storming Of The British Embassy

Basij members and their followers recently organized two events: a demonstration and a protest. The demonstration was in "solidarity" with the Occupy Wall Street Movement and the protest was actually an attack on the British Embassy in Tehran. The people involved in these two events were referred to as students. They are not students ... they are members and followers of the Iranian regime's Basij militia. Unfortunately, a number of American bloggers and the media overall have referred to these people as students. I find that to be very sad because not only are real Iranian students fighting an uphill battle concerning their quest for freedom against a despicable regime, they are now being associated with these two absurd acts orchestrated by the Basij forces. Furthermore, I would not be surprised if some people are bussed in and even lured with food to participate.

On October 23 of this year, my friend Potkin Azarmehr reported on the Occupy Wall Street solidarity rally that the Basij held (Link: http://azarmehr.blogspot.com/2011/10/solidarity-with-wall-street-protesters.html). I am glad I saw his blog entry before any other report concerning this demonstration because it succinctly and effectively sets the record straight (in a very humorous way too - excellent work, Potkin). On the following day, I looked at many websites and blogs that reported on the event and I was saddened to see so many people calling these goons "students". The people participating in the comment sections of these websites and blogs did more of the same if not worse. This was a demonstration NOT in solidarity with the USA's ubiquitous Occupy Movement, but an opportunity for the regime to air its grievances on a number of topics. The following hilarious video features scenes from the Basij rally. Observe ...



Of course, they had to burn an Israeli Flag. Regardless of the topic, people like this bring up Israel and Zionism all the time [I know that just from my own dealings with people online (when I posted my video in support of Saudi Arabian Women with their driving campaign back in June, someone, in response to my video, brought up the Zionists ... typical and tired)].

This now brings us to this week and the storming of the British Embassy. Once I read a headline for an article claiming that students stormed the Embassy, I neither believed it nor vaguely considered it for one second. I was right. Once again, the Basij militia was at work. Here are two videos ...

Not a bad singer (ha):



Yet again, the burning of an Israeli Flag (along with the Stars And Stripes and the Union Jack) which has nothing to do with this matter:



To the real college/university students in Iran: I realize you were not a part of this nonsense and I have been telling people that repeatedly. As always, I remain in solidarity with you and your cause. Azadi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a(n) researcher and archivist.

Blog Archive

Free counters!